Wednesday, June 5, 2013

New My Little Patch of Dirt Photos

Hello to all my blogging friends. I hope this post finds you all well and happy!

We have been up too. I love how it is all coming together.

I saw a picture of some yard art mushrooms on Pintrest the other night and thought I would make a few of my own. This is my take on them. The first photo has only mushrooms and the second one has a flowering plant growing in it.



They were really fun to make but took a bit of planning.

These are photos of our rain gutter vegetable garden, you can see that the 5 gal tub are sitting on the rain gutters. The buckets have things called wicks in the bottom and they drink up the water. The deck has a rain gutter herb garden strip too. We had to make a shade cover to go over the deck because it gets so hot in the evening. I was cooking while I was cooking lolol It sure does keep my kitchen and me cooler now.

We also built a little fence around the garden to keep rabbits and groundhogs out. We haven't seen any deer around lately because the dogs run them off (good and bad). If they do venture this close to the house in the future we will have to build a second fence 8 feet high. Time will tell.

We are growing, 3 varieties of tomatoes, corn, radishes, cabbage, carrots, brussel sprouts, beans, zucchini and yellow squash, eggplant, two types of water melon, cucumber, cantaloupe, honeydew and lots of jalapenos and other cooking chilies. On the deck I have basil, chives, strawberries, 3 different types of lettuce, thyme and parsley.

I may have to have Jeff make one more rain gutter row for the cantaloupe, honeydew and the watermelons because I would like to grow pumpkins too. I think I'll need more room for that.



Now for a look at the side of the backyard. We have two gazebos one is not completed yet as you can see by the frame. We need to finish the floor and get it some type of a roof. We have netting for it too.
The large gazebo needs a floor. I think we are going to recycle pallets for that. Right now I have 4 buckets with different flowers in them sitting in the corners. They are heavy and help keep it from blowing away.


Jeff , Marley and our neighbor Ernie getting some shade

The woods look more like a jungle now that all the leaves have grown in,




Now for the front yard



The front  planter now has a bird bath and lot of flowers.

A few nights ago we were sitting on the slider swing we saw our first lighting bugs. I was so tickles I felt like a kid on 4th of July with all my ooh's  and aah's going on.
I'll keep you posted on our gardens progress!

Chat soon,
Patrice

1 comment:

Carey said...

You bring such beauty and love to the places you live. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Carey and Roscoe