Friday, October 7, 2011

Toilet Paper Roll Album Tutorial

Hello to all my blogging friends, I hope this post finds you all well and happy!

I want to disclose I am not the original creator of this project. This is my version only. I asked on line if anyone knew of the creator and or other links on who showed us how to make this album. This is what information I received; Robyn Correa, Wanda McGlamery  and Dawn Griffith, You Tube...  I finally got a hold of  the video I saw on line a few weeks ago given by Dawn Griffith here it is. http://dawnsstampingthoughts.typepad.com/dawns_stampin_studio/2011/09/toilet-paper-roll-album-video-.html.

This is the Album I came  up with.

Supplies

Card Stock:
Marina Mist, Glossy White, Naturals White and Various patterns of blue 6 x6 pieces of Stampin Stack card stock.

Stamp Sets:
Snow Swirled, Snow Buddies (Hostess 2010) and Berry Christmas (retired).

Classic Ink:
Marina Mist

Misc:
Silver Embossing Powder, VersaMark, Bordering Blue and Brocade Blue Stampin' Write Markers, Ruler, Pencil, White 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon, three 1" Book Rings (found at Staples) Tacky Tape, Crop-A-Dile, Decorative Label Punch and three empty toilet paper rolls flattened in half lengthwise (Use a Bone Folder or Big Shot to flatten the TP rolls). One Stampin' Dimensional cut in half.

Measurements:

Cover Wrap for the toilet paper (TP) rolls you will need- 3 pieces of Marina Mist CS 4 1/4 x 6" and 6 pieces decorated Glossy White CS  2 6/16 x 3 12/16".
Pull out pages you will need- 6 pieces Natural White CS 2 7/16" x 3 12/16".
Cover sheet for pull out pages you will need- 6 pieces various patterns of blue Designer Series Paper (DSP) 2 1/4 x 3 3/4".
Two punched pieces of  the Decorative Label in Marina Mist cut in half (width wise not length wise).

Score Lines for the Cover Wrap -from left to right (These measurements will vary depending on the TP Rolls you use)
1/4" , 6/16, 3", 3 2/16
(I  gave myself two score lines  about 2/16th" wide for each of the side folds for the flattened rolls so the card stock would not buckle or bulge).

Here are photos I hope will make the directions and measurements easier to follow. I am a visual gal and pictures tell a thousand words for me. Audio is also very helpful too (Smile).

Step One- Flatten your toilet paper rolls in half lengthwise.I have read that you can run the TP roll through the Big Shot to flatten and or do it the old fashion way like I did and use the Bone Folder to flatten the edges.

Step Two- Make the cover pieces for the TP Rolls
 At every step I shaded all the edges of card stock with Marina Mist classic ink as you can see from this photo. You can also see where I made the 2/16th " score marks for the edges of the TP roll.

Step Three- Take a look at the tacky tape that I added to the TP Roll and the Marina Mist Card stock. Try to line the CS as straight as possible on the roll edge the first time as the tacky tape is unforgiving.
Then fold the cover piece all the way around the roll and remove tacky tape to secure.
Step Four- Decorate your Glossy Card Stock pieces with VersaMark and Silver Embossing Powder however you like. I tried to use a sentiment and a stamp on one  page and a image only on the other page so every other page had a sentiment starting with the front cover. I should have taken a close up shot of the Snow Men as I cut out their hats and colored them in with the Stampin Write Markers and then popped the hats up 3 D style with a half of a Stampin Dimensional for extra dimension. I also added a touch of color to their scarfs. You could also add Rhinestones or Basic Pearls to add additional Bling to the images for fun.

Step Five- Make the pull out pieces buy taping the 6 Natural White  2 7/16 x 3 12/16  pieces together to make three pull out pieces, but first tape the Decorative Label half pieces at the top right, center, and left hand sides. The following photo describes what I mean here.
Once the six pieces are attached together and the half piece of the Decorative Label sticks out at the top evenly you are ready to sponge the edges with Marina Mist and attach the six various DSP pieces as follows.
This photo only shows three sides but you will also have to do the back sides too. Notice I went dark, light, dark when attaching the card stock. I wanted to make sure it looked purposeful in the finished project.

Step Six- At this point you could add additional embellishments and or photo corners to the pieces. I did not know what I wanted to make at the time, either a photo album and or a memory book embellished with personal items or not so I left them undecorated.
I'm showing you an additional photo here because I made a mistake and I want you to avoid this if possible. I failed to leave room for the punched ends of the TP rolls and had to cut the above pieces about a quarter inch smaller. I remembered that I wanted these pieces to be able to be pulled out not stuck inside (Duh). See the photo below

Notice the three holes in the bottom of the cover pieces. Remember you do not want to punch holes in the pull out pieces! The measurements for the pull out pieces have been adjusted so no need to alter them. I measured the placement of where I wanted the holes with a ruler and used the Crop-A-Dile to punch the holes, Then I lined up the second piece to the first piece and used a pencil to color in where I should punch next, I did the same to the third piece.

Step Seven- Put the album together as you are almost finished. See how the pull out pieces fit inside the
I added white ribbon around the Book Rings for fun, but you do not have to.


Finally the back piece.
I really hope you enjoyed this tutorial and have as much fun as I did in making yours. I have saved several more TP Rolls and will be making these for little thank you gifts for Christmas and or any time.
If you have additional questions on how I made this project, please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail or leave me a comment with an e-mail address and I will respond as soon as possible.

Now it is your turn to go and create something fun!

5 comments:

inkedx2 said...

Super cute!I love the colors you used. Still can't bring myself to use tp rolls!

Ann Schach said...

Thanks for the tutorial, Patrice! Your album is adorable!

Miss Vicky said...

Lovely colours Patrice. Your tutorial is excellent!

Carey said...

You are really good at writing tutorials. You bring it down to my level and I appreciate it. Thanks for the ideas.

Hugs from
Carey and Roscoe

Susan (rainy) said...

What a fun and SO creative project, Patrice. And beautiful, too!